Its grading week! By now I know that for most of you this will be a familiar beat but I’m going to keep banging the drum anyway.
It is so important that every month you show us what you can do: it is not about getting new belts, it is about showing us that you are ready to learn a larger range of techniques and start being taught a greater depth of technical understanding.
Remember, Black Belt is only the beginning.
18 Rules of Living by the Dalai Lama
This is a piece I found while stumbling around the interwebs and I immediately wanted to put it up here for you guys. I think there are some very strong lessons here, some, like number 3, we teach already.
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three Rs: 1. Respect for self 2. Respect for others 3. Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
Sensei Matt Thurman, Shudokan Black Belt Academy – Aikido Nottingham